Wednesday 20 May 2009

Kiss kiss bank bank

Greedy boggy men of the nascent post-capitalist society, loath or really loath them, banks are generally a necessary evil, even if you're living the life schwarz. In Germany if you want to bank, then you'll have to put your hands in your pockets - they all charge you for the pleasure (with very limited exceptions). 

I had lots of misgivings about opening an account. I was without a fixed address, I hadn't registered with the authorities, and I was unsure what proof they would need that I was solvent. Little did I know all I needed was my passport and an address where I could safely have my card sent (it only takes about 10 days).

Sparkasse welcomed me with a smile and fixed me up with an account in 20 minutes. I had an internet banking account into which I could instantly transfer money in (and out), an EC card in the post, and a branch where I could make withdrawals whilst I was waiting for the plastic. This for 2 euro per month automatically deduct from your account.

I sorted my account out in German, but I hear that Sparkasse are very happy to pair you up with an English speaker if you need it. Central branches are your best bet I expect (Hackescher Markt, Friedrichstrasse...)

0 comments: