Wednesday 20 May 2009

Ich bin ein Berliner

When you move to or around Germany you are required to register your address with Big Brother. In Berlin you're given 4 weeks to wave the official hello at the beauraucrats. Not everyone abides by the rules of course, but should you require proof of where you live for a contract etc., this is unfailingly want they'll want to see. And as far as Germany's compulsory health insurance goes, it also marks your card as officially resident here - if you intend to live the 'schwarz' life you need to know the rules before ignoring them.

Registration has all excitement of pairing socks, but at least you can do that from home. Set aside a morning to visit a BĂĽrgeramt which administers the area in which you live. Here's a link to help you find yours. Download this form, fill out as much as you can and take it with you along with your passport and the details of your landlord.

When I turned up I showed my form at reception and they bossily pointed out the bits I'd missed as well as giving me 2 other forms I needed to complete in order to have the registration processed. DO NOT declare a Christian religion unless you want to pay an extra 10% tax. 

My trip began in the scrum of people waiting for the office to open. In darkness anyone would have thought it was Berlin's hottest new club night. It's actually a cross between a meat counter and waiting to see the headmaster: you take a ticket and wait to be called into a erry office.

Despite my early arrival I was 37th in line and even well oiled bureaucratic wheels turn slowly. It was 1 1/2 hours before I eventually reached my Kafkaesque destination. Expect no pleasantries, just a 5 minute concerto of keyboard clatter before your Anmeldebestätigung is printed off and stamped. You are now a Berlin resident and can authoritatively say 'Ich bin ein Berliner'.

Tip: If your paperwork isn't in order but you can sort it out the same day, you can return to the official without having to queue again. Just knock and enter.

0 comments: