Sunday 31 May 2009

What's "help" in German?

No, the answer isn't "helfen" - that won't get you a stretcher or a fireman. The answer is unhelpfully two numbers: 110 (police) and 112 (ambulance & fire services). Post-it. Fridge magnet. And you're safe. 

It was only upon slicing into my finger with a kitchen knife that it suddenly struck me I hadn't a bloody clue what Germany's 999 was. For someone that's pretty savvy with a blade I have to blame this on my romantic interest who'd provoked a blush of embarrassment whilst I was slicing an onion. Blood is so dramatic, but it this case it was just jazz hands and a bit of dancing, no gory Greek tragedy. Still, if I'd gone past the nail bed and hit bone it would have been a different story. A story I hope I won't be recounting here as I've since decided to eat out instead of cooking at home. It's much safer and feeds blog and belly!   

0 comments: