Saturday 17 January 2009

Constant Kebab Craving

I don't know where to begin with my love of Berlin's döner kebabs. Donners in the UK resemble those here in the way sparkling water resembles champagne. I won't entertain the idea of putting my intestines through the miserable work of digesting a donner in Manchester or London. Whereas here, they fill me with a joy that's the closest I'll ever come to religious ecstasy. Crisp, freshly toasted Turkish flat-bread, spread with garlic sauce and filled with delicious strips of meat, red and white cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes and onions. It's the most crunchy, garlicy, comforting, spicy, generous, fresh, warm protein'n'carb fest you'll experience. And all for 1.80-3 euro. Here are some of my favourites...

Dada: the kebab meat here is actually schwama, which we think is beef. They're also served in small pitta pockets, making it a altogether different kebab experience. And there's more to this place than its kebabs. Full review here.
Where: Linienstrasse 132, opposite Tachles on Oranienburger Tor

Pergamon: it's straight opposite the main entrance to Friedrichstrasse Bahnhof, making it perfect for a 5am grease pit-stop if you're staying nearby. Straight down the line classic döner - always super fresh salad. There's a bar in the shop too, and seating at the rear.
Where: Friedrichstrasse, opposite the Bahnhof

Köftechi: On new year's eve/day I was walking home from a club when I was waved into this place by one of the staff who could obviously spot a drunken man in need of grease at 50 paces. They didn't have a regular donner, so I just asked for something tasty. What I was given blew my tiny mind: they were like mini-shish kebabs (4 I think) served in a soft baguette-style bread with salad. I'm groaning with pleasure at the memory. 10 out of 10
Where: Kottbusser Damm, U-Bahn Schönleinstrasse then head down towards Hermannplatz, on the left hand side.

Chicken Döner: Really easy to over-look this one despite being right by one of the busiest junctions on the tourist trail, near the Hackescherhöfe. They do a fairly common variation on a donner called, Dürüm Döner - which is a bit like a wrap. The one I had the other day was as thick as my upper arm, which isn't that big for an arm, but it's hugely generous for a wrap. A finger-licking feast that set my eyes rolling with delight.
Where: Top of Rosenthaler Strasse, just across from U-Bahn Hackerscherhof

0 comments: